What began as a small “mom and pop” business in the back room of a grocery store, has progressed for four generations into a thriving family-owned corporation, supplying their customers with appliances and household furnishings, as well as floor covering and bedding.
Charlie and Mary Alice Ruxer opened the doors of Ruxer Furniture and Appliance in 1944 as a bottled gas distributor in the building that also housed the Ringeman Grocery. Today, that property is the location of the Spencer County Bank in downtown St. Meinrad. In 1960, a new store was constructed next to their residence, and throughout the years, as the need arose, more products were offered to their customers and more showroom and warehouse space were added. In 1971, Charlie and Mary Alice’s sons, Terry and Mark, their wives, Sandy and Kathy, became co-owners.
In 1995, the third generation grandsons, Todd and Clint, joined the business and then, in 2001, the addition of Andy Gray, son-in-law of Mark and Kathy, completed the present ownership. Clint’s daughter Ashlyn has also recently joined the business, making it now a four generation company. Today, 73 years later, the business still thrives. It has adapted to society’s changes, always finding a need to be met, as well as continuing to offer friendly customer service.